So, I have been thinking a lot lately about the difference just one person can make. This whole living-with-my-parents-being-new-in-the-ward-changing-schools experience has been a good one. An eye-opening one to say the least. It is hard to be the new person. PERIOD. It is even harder to be the new person when everyone (including you) knows that you aren't going to be there for long. People mentally write you off as soon as they hear you say that you're not sticking around for long. As if you don't have feelings or want friends just because you're leaving soon. I know because I've been guilty of doing it too.
I have really noticed that "one person" in so many situations. Like the ONE lady at church that makes several attempts to say something nice. Or the ONE 6th grade boy that on the first day of school simply says, "Wanna play basketball" and opens a whole new world of friendships for your son. Or the ONE 5th grade girl that asks for your daughter's phone number so she can play after school. Or the ONE 3rd grade boy that wants to sit by your son on the bus. It literally just takes ONE.
I have made a mental note to always try to be that one person. Not just to smile, wave or say, "Welcome", but to really be sincere. To give a sincere compliment or sit by the person who doesn't know anyone, to invite people to do things & introduce them to other friends...it really isn't that hard. I bet the people who have done these things for us didn't even realize what a difference it made! It's not like dozens of people flocked to us begging to be our friends, it was literally one person in every situation. Honestly, the moms that have invited Katey to their daughter's birthday parties probably have no idea how happy they made her. But I know. Katey knows. It matters.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone who has smiled at me or talked to me. But when someone introduces themselves and then ignores you after they did their duty, it just doesn't mean as much. Everyone gets plenty of that in the beginning, but the one person who goes the extra mile continually makes all the difference in the world! I want to be that one person. I want to make a difference to everyone I meet. I know it sounds exhausting, but 1 extra birthday invitation, 1 extra compliment, 1 extra attempt isn't really a big deal...to the giver...but to the receiver it can be life changing. And that is the end of my soap box. It had to be said. :)
We Moved
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment