Friday, November 20, 2009

I give up

I tried my very best to potty train Hayden. MY VERY BEST! He is #5...I have some tricks up my sleeve...believe me! He just wanted no part of it. The smart mother in me knows that he's just not ready or he'd be a pro by now. The impatient mother in me wants him to be potty trained anyways. I tried everything I could think of and then some. I even had a rare day, about a week into potty training, where there was NOTHING on my calendar. I vowed not to shower, not to answer my phone, not to get distracted by the computer. It was going to be our potty training boot camp day. I set the timer every 20 minutes and got him to sit on the potty. At every ten minute interval inbetween timers he ran downstairs and peed in his underwear. (Keep in mind that on the more casual potty training day he did better.) Go figure. After 6 accidents I decided that it was ok to answer the phone and get on the computer. Then after the 8th accident (which was a yucky one) I quit. I even made him a sticker chart and he only got 1 sticker on it all day. ONE. The very first day we started potty training he peed in the toilet several times, no problem. I just don't get it. Why aren't there any REAL potty training experts? I'd sure like for them to figure that one out for me. Well, my sweet little Hayden is back in diapers and I haven't said a word about potty training in days. Now he is telling me every time he pees in his diaper. Seriously. I have to go to the store tomorrow to buy more diapers. The coupon freak in me is just sick that there aren't any good sales on diapers right now. Oh well, it's that or cleaning up more accidents. I'll choose full price diapers, thank you very much! :) Maybe when he's closer to 3 I'll try again. Maybe I'll let him figure it out on his own when he goes to kindergarten. Who knows. I guess none of my other boys were potty trained at 2 1/2. I just thought I was a better teacher now that I'm older and wiser. Guess I was wrong. :)

4 comments:

Wendy said...

T. Berry Brazelton (pediatrician) once said "nobody ever got married wearing a diaper". I love that quote. Unfortunately when you're in the middle of it, it feels like it will take that long. I feel for you... potty training is the absolute nightmare.

Kim McCann said...

I HATE POTTY TRAINING!!!! There, I said it. :) I hate it more than pregnancy and labor COMBINED!!!! I would rather have another baby than potty train! Well, that might be pushing it... :) Thanks Wendy for sharing my pain! :)

BerlyD said...

When Jake went in for his 3 year old well child check and still had no interest in potty training, I asked the doctor with tears in my eyes, "what am I going to do? I am sooo worried!" She sat back in her chair and laughed at me. Then she said "Kim, we will worry about if he is in diapers when he starts kindergarten" ;) Two months later, we were building our house and he saw Paul and Grandpa peeing outside in the "pee corner" suddenly, he was magically transformed into a big boy who wips it out to pee outside in the corner. "BOYS" who can figure them out?

Jackie said...

Just think if you have another baby in place of potty training, you will have to potty training that baby too. So it's better just be patient. I am with you though,I feel like potty training is the worst part about being a parent. It SUCKS! But I think when I have 3 teenage girls at once I am going to be thinking "I wish I could just go back to potty training instead of abstinence training".