Can I just say how much I love my Mase? I meant to write this post yesterday and got a little too involved in coupon shopping. ;) On St. Patrick's Day 4 years ago, he was diagnosed with PDDNOS (Pervasive Developmental Delay Not Otherwise Specified). One year later they changed his diagnosis to Asperger's Syndrome. They are both Autism Spectrum Disorders. Asperger's is VERY high functioning. In fact, when Mase was diagnosed with that at almost 3, his IQ was off-the-charts-high. He is SO smart. Too smart for his own good most of the time. :) He definitely lacks some social and behavioral skills (even still), but for the most part you just plain can't tell. :)
He is such a great kid! I helped in his (mainstream-NOT special ed!) kindergarten class this morning and my heart was so full! Every time I walk into his classroom he says, "Hey Mom" so nonchalantly and without skipping a beat on whatever he's doing. I usually can't even see him, I have to look around to find him. He knows the instant I walk into the room though. I love it. My big kids are embarrassed when I walk into their classes and usually prefer that I not even look at them, let alone talk to them. Well, besides Katey...she always comes running to beg me to check her out. :)
I am so proud of Mason and how far he's come! When I had him tested at 19 months, he wasn't talking AT ALL and was doing a lot of strange things. After having 4 kids close together I knew in my heart something was not quite right from the beginning. I kept telling myself it could just be because he was traumatized at birth. However, the older he got, the more I wondered what was going on in that little brain of his. When we went to the child psychologist, he didn't tell me 1 thing I didn't already know. He answered some of my questions, but I didn't really have many. I did want to know what it meant for him long-term. That was my only concern. I didn't care about much else. I felt like just saying, "Tell me he'll be fine eventually and I'll work my butt off to make sure he gets there." Well, essentially that's what he told me. If I kept an ever-vigilant watch on him to make sure he got everything he needed and didn't ever let him fall behind (especially socially) he would be just fine. So, that's what I've been doing. Yup, for 4 years.
At times it gets exhausting and overwhelming. His progress has been worth every one of those classes I took him to, every time I had to scoop him up and rock him until he was done freaking out over something I just couldn't relate to, every time I had to meet with his special ed teachers or attend classes or home therapy with him. He is in a WONDERFUL kindergarten class at the same school my other kids go to, with "typically developing" children around him. He has the most amazing teacher I could have ever asked for! Just today when I was in there, she was working one-on-one with him and I could see the love she has for him. She tells me all of the time how much she loves him. It's impossible not to love him. It's also impossible not to get frustrated with him.
Mason has taught me SO much patience. I still have a long way to go, but I am learning how to be patient, accomodating, understanding and compassionate...things that do not necessarily come easy to me. I am happy to report that I am not the same person I was 4 years ago. Not that I was a horrible person really, I just think that Mason has taught me so much and has made me such a better person. His honesty, pure love and kindness rub off on everyone around him. I get so many compliments on what great kids I have. Fortunately my other 5 kids have Mason for a brother and have benefited from it also. :)
Originally the psychologist couldn't get us in for several MONTHS!! Our appt. wasn't until May. But, they called us on March 16th (after waiting for months already) and said they had a cancellation for the next day. I jumped on it! I didn't realize it was St. Patrick's Day until we got to the office and I thought they were all just really strange people. Turns out, they were just dressed up. ;) I quickly realized that St. Patrick's Day would be my new favorite holiday (besides Christmas, of course) & that it would be the perfect reminder to appreciate Mason and the progress he has made since the last St. Patrick's Day! So, here's to another St. Patrick's Day and another year full of progress, accomplishments, new adventures and a little boy who loves me unconditionally!
Words simply cannot express how much I love him and how my heart swells when I watch him do something amazing! He keeps me laughing, he keeps me guessing and he keeps me on my toes. He is just a great kid! I can't imagine my life without him and I wouldn't want to. I think Heavenly Father made him just the way he is...because that's just the way he's supposed to be. He's perfect in my eyes. I wish more people were like him, in fact. The world would truly be a better place with more Mason's in it. :) Happy St. Patrick's Day to one of my very best friends. I love you Bud! :)
We Moved
5 years ago
3 comments:
Love this! If I had to describe you with one word right now, it would be AMAZING!
Oh Jackie, you made my day. I don't feel very "amazing" today. So, thanks! :)
Love it! And I love Mase. He was always making me laugh with his little comments on the way to Preschool. You are a wonderful mom! I really don't know how you do it, but I sure admire you for all of the effort you put into each of your kids. When it gets above 60-let's do the zoo...
Post a Comment