Monday, January 3, 2011

Epiphany

Ok, so 2010 is over and gone. I am not going to get all cheesy and list all of the great things that happened in 2010...although I should, because it was a great year! (For the most part anyways.) Tonite I was writing in my journal, which is something I really don't do often enough...and I realized that is the best form of therapy for me. I used to think that going to lunch with friends and venting for hours about everything that bugs me was really great therapy. All that did was drag me down into the depths of despair. I used to think that venting on facebook was a good form of therapy and that I had loyal fans who hung on my every word. That got me in a great deal of trouble this year. I haven't written anything interesting on facebook for a while now and no one seems to care. That is my most valuable lesson of 2010. It was a painful lesson and cost me a very important relationship, but an important lesson nonetheless. I used to spend at least half of my day glued to my computer to see what everyone else was doing. Now I spend my time seeing what the important people in my life are doing. :) I do still check up on my facebook friends because I love staying in touch so effortlessly, but on a much smaller scale than before. I have been neglecting my blog less too. When you are glued to facebook you don't really have a need to update your blog. It just doesn't matter because everyone already knows what you're doing/saying/feeling anyways. I still post pictures on facebook for my relatives who aren't bloggers. I still comment on facebook occassionally, but not on every post every day like I used to. I am slowly weaning myself from my facebook addiction. It is very empowering! I am slowly turning to the people who matter most in my life for the things I need...such as entertainment, validation, conversation, etc. It is a great feeling and I hope I can stay focused and not get sucked back into the drama of it all. So, I will stick to my blog for things that I feel like sharing and I will stick to my journal for things that don't really need to be shared and/or will get me in trouble. I will stick to the people who are the most important to me and I will hope for a great 2011!

3 comments:

Ellen and Austin said...

I loved this!!! I totally see where you are coming from with the whole facebook thing. I always tried so hard to comment on peoples post or show that I care but when people didn't do it back I would get hurt. I guess they are just not important. Facebook is so dangerous haha You can beat your addiction :)I will support you!!!!

Kim McCann said...

Thanks Ellen! :)

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I love this, I have found myself talking more on my blog about important things because those that care read my blog. :) Happy New Year!