Thursday, April 22, 2010

The American Girl Store!!

Katey has been wanting an American Girl Doll FOREVER!!!! I have bought her several "cheaper" dolls over the years to try and satisfy her craving. I really did not want to spend $100 on a doll. I just didn't. Apparently all of her friends have several dolls and she was the only one who didn't have one. So, I caved. After all, it is a special birthday for her this year...turning 8 and all. Crazy, huh? :)
Well, since Chris and I took the boys on a "boys trip" a couple of years ago, I decided to take Katey on a "girls trip"! We talked my Mom into going with us and we had to take Sophey to pull it off without having to get a babysitter. So, the 4 of us set out on a "whirlwind big city adventure". We left on a Wed. and drove to my parents house in St. George. We got up early Thurs. and drove to L.A...which was the longest drive of my life I'm quite certain. :)
We got to our hotel just in time to throw our bags in the room, change our clothes and make a mad dash to the American Girl Cafe. We had reservations at 4:00 for "afternoon tea". Well, thanks to L.A. traffic, I called them to let them know we were running behind around 4:15. They said, "If you can be here by 4:30 you'll be ok." So, we were BARELY there by 4:30, and wouldn't you know...we were the only customers. :) Apparently 1 other party had a reservation and didn't show and they had already made the food. So, that's why they let us in late. :)
It was a little slice of girl heaven! It was $20 a person for finger sandwiches and dessert, which Katey wouldn't touch because she is awfully picky (and I still had to pay for her), but we had the place to ourselves and we had a darling little waitress who was determined to give Katey a wonderful birthday! :) It was decorated super cute with pink and black and had these big doors that opened onto a balcony over looking a cute little outdoor mall.
Since we were running so late, Katey didn't have time to pick out a doll before we ate. They had a shelf full of dolls that the girls got to borrow at the cafe. Soph pretty much abused hers, but Katey fell in love with her "borrowed" doll and ended up buying the same "Julie" doll. :)
( I uploaded these pictures backwards...so, this post is kind of out of order.)
Katey couldn't take enough pictures of Julie and we kept having to pose with her. :)
I had to sit on the bed with Sophey while I got ready because every time I put her down she cried! I think she has abandonment issues.
Katey, Julie and Honey.
Can you tell how much she loves her doll? Oh, they had to have matching shirts too.
This was parked in our hotel parking lot and we just had to get a picture with it!
Jordin Sparks was doing a free outdoor concert and The Grove shopping center. It was pretty cool.
Soph sharing Katey's lemonade...anything to make her happy!
Me and Katey at The Grove...Jordin Sparks was rockin' out behind us!
After our "tea" and shopping spree!
Soph loved hanging out on the balcony at the cafe!
I {heart} my girls!!
Katey is such a good big sister to Sophey!
The Fab 4! :)
Soph abusing her doll.
The poor blind baby!
Katie and the "borrowed" Julie.
Grandma Pat, Katey and Julie!
Sophey was only happy when she was destroying things at the Cafe!


Happy (early) Birthday Katey!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! You are really such a cute mom for doing a girls trip while your girls are so young! I loved looking at all the cute pictures:)

The Webber's said...

Cute Kim! I am totally jealous! I wanted an American girl doll SO bad when I was about Katey's age. And I'm jealous you went to Disneyland and had a fun vacation! I'm so excited to go, but I'm a little worried about going in the summer. I bet it was perfect right now! How fun!

Coombs Family said...

What a fun trip! I wish Avery was old enough to appreciate a trip like that. Something to look forward to I guess :)

BerlyD said...

Wow! What memories you made! I'm glad you could be there with your mom, she is a great lady! Just like her daughter ;)